Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spotted Towhee = Yes! Ontario = No!

As you know, I'm hoping to see that Spotted Towhee in Long Point. It'd be a great bird for an Ontario big year. I saw one today. Hell, I saw about 40. BUT, I'm not in Ontario. I'm in Vancouver. So they don't count. That's OK. They were as amazing as they'd be in Ontario, jumping around, tossing dead leaves about looking for a snack. I had a day off today and spent it walking around Stanley Park looking for birds. It was a great day. A little rainy but very birdy too.


As I sit in my fancy, smancy hotel and listen to Motorhead, I'm going to leave you with my day list and a video of some avian pals from today. I'm going to guess I'm the only one rocking Ian Fraser Kilmister in this place tonight.




January 16th, 2011 day list. (None able to be on the PRBY list)

Canada Goose
Gold-crowned Kinglet (hundreds of them)
Northwestern Crow
Ring-billed Gull
Fox Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
Black-capped Chickadee
American Wigeon
Red-breasted Merganser
Bufflehead
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Bonaparte's Gull
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted race)
Varied Thrush
Wood Duck
Barrow's Goldeneye (Lifer. Well, the male)
Mallard
Song Sparrow
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (The Hell's Angels of Stanley Park)
Brown Creeper
Dark-eyed Junco (I love the western ones)
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Bewick's Wren (Lifer)
Black Oystercatcher
Surf Scoter
Greater Scaup
Common Goldeneye
Coot
Mute Swan
Great-blue Heron
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Bald Eagle

Total birds today: 33
Total towards Punk Rock Big Year: 0

Paul Riss
Punk Rock Big Year

No comments:

Post a Comment