Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A lotta' meat and almost no fowl.

This past weekend was spent with family again. Now don't worry, the birds are coming back soon. I hope I've been able to keep your attention this summer with so few birding posts. Things are going to get better this weekend. I'm going to a friend's wedding Saturday evening and birding early Sunday. That's more like it you say. Make this punk ass birder suffer. Hung over birding rules. OK, maybe not but I'm sure to be awfully tired when my alarm goes off a couple hours after I pass out.

Last weekend I ate meat at almost every meal. Sorry if you're a vege but I'm just not. It's not the life for me. You might be a bit healthier and live a few years longer but I'm OK with that. As long as we are all happy I say. First, Thursday evening, was a party for the creative department where I work. It was held at an incredible BBQ joint in Toronto. The place is called Barque and if you ever find yourself here, you NEED to eat there. If you're one of the aforementioned veges, there ain't nuthin' for you at Barque. Then, a small Stag outing for my friend Matt Friday night. He's the one getting married next weekend, so we went out for  a big fat steak served on a wooden board complete with a blood groove. The place was once a king among steak houses in Toronto I'd bet, but now, it's just a place with too old carpet, wood panelling and grumpy servers. That said, I loved the place, and that stern server was right up my alley. I couldn't help but wonder if the Beastie Boys Check Your Head wasn't playing just for us. Saturday, I took the family out to see Bradleyboy play in a small town 20 minutes north of Orono called Keene. It was a fund raiser held in the town hall and was catered by the incredible Muddy's Pit BBQ. Shit, was it ever good. Ribs, corn, wings, a whole pig, I was in heaven. I love great BBQ. The place is owned by the singer of another fun band, The Venisons. We had fun dancing and partying well into the night, kids and all. To give you an idea of the meat fest that was last weekend, enjoy some photos and videos of the days and nights.

Steak at Senior's Steak house.

Tomatoes I grew and ate. They were delicious.

That cooked the pig.

The incredible sign out front of Muddy's.

Muddy's in all it's lo-fi glory. Mmmmmm, meaty.

Very tempting...

Muddy's ribs for leftover Sunday breakfast.
And now for some video. It's a bit dark but you get the idea.


Shepard pretending to be the half zombie from the beginning of Walking Dead.




Even a couple shorebirds Sunday afternoon.

Solitary Sandpiper by kenschneideruas.
Pectoral Sandpiper by Henry McLin.
Lesser Yellowlegs by Rick Leche.

Punk Rock Big Year
Paul Riss

No comments:

Post a Comment